Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The World and Nonesense - A Rant.

Listen to this story
I have VC++ 2005 redistributable package, which you need to run programs that are written in VC++ 2005 on computers that don't have it installed, like happens a lot to Microsoft. Well, that's ok, we're used to that.
So, now, I'm trying to figure out, how do I know whether it's already installed on a computer or not, because it opens a user prompt dialog, and I want to have as little of them as possible.
So I was searching in the net for a lot of stuff, in the end i found a number-string, that I can call an API function with, which should tell me whether it's there.
Well, I do that, and on my comp, where I do have it installed, and it says, that it isn't. Well, i say, ok. let's see maybe it's in the file properties.
I look inside. I find out, that it's a simple archive, so I say ok. Let's see what's inside that? A Single(!!) File. I get it out. What is this? Another archive!
I open it again. What does it contain? An msi file(which is an archive+ script) and another archive file.
Now, the first archive, only adds! size because it's just adding another header without any compression!
And the second one compresses the scrips by maybe 0.1%! What do they need this for, I have no clue!
Or to be exact I have a clue, but it's much too horrible to tell!
They archived it the first time after the msi, so that they don't have 2 files! why? no clue. They could just include both in the msi, if they'd modify the setup by a bit
the second archive they added to include the license message!
Why not include it also in the msi, which is possible?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.